Welcome To WUW.

Please Log In, Or Register

Goodluck and Have Fun
Worlds Ultimate Wrestling
Welcome To WUW.

Please Log In, Or Register

Goodluck and Have Fun
Worlds Ultimate Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the forum for Worlds Ultimate Wrestling. General Manager Backyard Bud.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Season 3 is coming! New Superstars, New Rosters, New Alliances!

What's your wrestling background?

Go down 
+4
The Flying Eagle
CGHasp
Backyard Bud
Mean Machine
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mean Machine

Mean Machine

What's your wrestling background? Empty
PostSubject: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:02 pm

I was trading wrestling trivia with Johnny in another thread when it occurred to me to wonder what kind of wrestling background the "average" WUW player has? By which I mean YOU, not your character. I'll go first.

I started watching as a kid in the 80s during the WWF era of Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Bret Hart. I eventually got bored because we didn't have cable so all I ever got to see was squash matches. I was away from the business until the mid-90s Monday Night Wars era when I happened to be channel cruising and caught Sting rappelling down into the ring in his full Crow getup to bust some NWO heads on WCW Monday Nitro.

That started me off as a WCW fan, and I was pretty loyal through all the ups and downs until the end of the company, though I did catch the RAW replay now and again. This was the era when I really got into the internet wrestling community and started reading the online dirtsheets. The more I got "smart" to the ways things were done behind the scenes the more I became interested.

When WCW folded and the infamous "Invasion" angle cratered (good work, Vince!), I moved on to the indy scene and became a serious mark for Ring of Honor, which was leading the rise of the new generation of regional promotions featuring insanely talented wrestlers working their asses off at the very time the "big leagues" was becoming a boring talk-fest interspersed with occasional lackadaisical punchups.

When TNA finally got regular television, featuring a lot of the indy talent I already admired like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels, I became a fan. Again, the promotion has has its ups and downs and I've quit watching for a while on a couple of occasions, but I always keep coming back.

So today I'm always there for TNA Impact, even if I'm not thrilled by all their booking decisions. For example, pushing an unstable and indicted drug addict as their World Champ is not a choice I would have made. Nevertheless, it's the major fed in my life. I still follow the indy promotions like ROH and the excellent women's fed SHIMMER that runs out of Chicago.

Well, that's my fan bio. How about you guys? What got you into wrestling? Who's your favorite wrestler of all time and why? What feds do you watch and what style do you prefer?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thescreamingalpha.com
Backyard Bud
Admin
Backyard Bud

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 10:54 pm

I started watching about 6 years ago. I don't have cable so i couldnt.
I was at a mates house and he watched it which brought me in. I watched it on YouTube for 4 years after that and online websites for the PPV's. The last 2 years i don't watch it that much. Just a few PPV's here and there.
Always RR and WM.

I have watched TNA the same way aswell.

Favourite wrestler is Jeff Hardy and will always be. Randy Orton and John Morrison come shortly behind. Orton was the first guy i saw wrestle though so he is a big impact on me.
Back to top Go down
https://wultimatewrestling.forumotion.com
CGHasp

CGHasp

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 8:59 am

I heard about wrestling since 2003 but I only became interested in it after I went to my friend house who had SVR 2006, At first I thought it was real so I started to watch show and became a fan of Triple H who was a big reason I continued to watch any wrestling at all through a channel I don't remember, but got bored after I found out it was all script and stopped watching.

In 2009 I saw a match between Mitsuharu Misawa {Who is my japanese wrestler} and I think Toshiaki Kawada and from here on I started to watch some AJWP. In 2010 I started to watch other shows including RAW, Smackdown, NJPW and Dragon Gate and got one of my friends to become a wrestling fan as well and from here on I started to watch wrestling almost everyday {even replays}.

The wrestlers that I really like are Triple H, Evan Bourne, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Mr Anderson, Sheamus and Mitsuharu Misawa.
Back to top Go down
The Flying Eagle

The Flying Eagle

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 5:03 pm

I might be the youngest WUW member at age 13. I started watching a little bit of WWE when it was tv-14 or whatever but not for long. I started watching it again in 2010 right before Over the Limit. It was the best thing I ever watched and started buying ppv's and getting wwe merchandise and DVD's. I then when to the 2011 royal rumble and it was so much better then going to a boston sporting event.

Hopefully I will be traveling to D.C. to see Capital Punishment on my birthday. The 2nd best part I get to miss 1 day of school for it and get to see an amazing show.

I then started to watch TNA when I saw a preview for a TNA ppv that had Jeff Hardy in it. t got addicted and I just ordered tna on demand to see the more exciting 6 sided ring without hogan and bishoff because now its not as good.

Favorite wrestlers: CM Punk, R-Truth, AJ Styles, Christian, Edge, Randy Orton, Brodus Clay, and Evan Bourne.
Back to top Go down
Cardiac Animal

Cardiac Animal

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 6:52 pm

I started watching wrestling at about age 5. I am 14 now. My dad was flipping through the channels and i seen it on. I told him to turn it back. It was Thursday night Smackdown. It was a match between Edge and some weirdo that quit wrestling along time ago. But I have pretty much watch wrestling every since then. When i was about 9 or 10 my dad told me it was fake. I didn't believe him at first. But after watching it more and more i realised he wasn't lyeing lol. I didn't really watch very much between ages like 12-13. Because everyone at school and stuff said it was stupid and gay and stuff. But i got back into last year around the Royal Rumble time. I watched Edge, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, Johnny Nitro (Morrison now), The hardyz, Chris Jericho and a few others as much as i could. I didn't like heels at all until i started watching it again. Now the heels are my favorite guys. I like The Miz alot because he is a heel. Randy Orton was always a good heel and so was edge.

When edge retired a few weeks ago it just about brought a tear to my eye. He is and always will be one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. And also when eddie died that was a very VERY emotional moment in WWE. I think every superstar was crying. It was very sad.

My favorites in order:

1.Edge(and always will be)
2.Randy Orton
3.The Hardyz( Jeff comes before matt)
4. John Morrison
5.The Miz
6.Justin Gabriel
7.Curt Hawkins
8.Rey Mysterio
9.Eddie Guererro
10.Sheamus

Ps- John Cena is not up there because I personally think is WAY over rated. I mean i like him, he is cool and all but just way over rated
Back to top Go down
Johnny Anderson

Johnny Anderson

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:22 pm

I've only been watching wrestling for about five years or so, back when I was seven or eight. I can't remember which. I started off just kinda channel surfing on a Monday night, and I just happened to stumble upon a little bunny rabbit. I then found Monday Night RAW and started watching it to check it out. I started getting preoccupied with other things a couple years later, so I didn't watch it for a while. The first wrestling show I saw after that was the one which saw Jeff Hardy hitting Randy Orton with a Swanton Bomb off that scaffolding. In 2010, I went to the first RAW of the year. It was the one with the return of Bret Hart. Later that year, in late November-early December, I went to a taping of SmackDown. I honestly found SmackDown to be a little better, but that was probably because we had much better seats. That, and because I really like those graphics that they display on the ring for SmackDown.

My favorite wrestlers are Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, Christian Cage (Christian's name from when he was in TNA), Kurt Angle, Pac (no, not X-Pac), Sin Cara, and John Morrison (because I like his boots).
Back to top Go down
John HardCore Freeman

John HardCore Freeman

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:15 pm

my knowledge are kinda low. I only watched some shows back in the good old time when i was too young to remember. Only guys I really remember from that time is Hogan and Ultimate warrior.

I started to again watch WWE 4-5 years ago over simply reading wwe.com
And for 3 years ago I found out a friend of mine have the channels that shows smackdown and raw so i forced him to tape them for me Razz

I am not a big sport fan in the general, watching only wwe and some UFC now and then.

My fav guys in the WWE currently are:
Sheamus
Kane
Sin Cara (bit impressed by him)
E. Jackson.
CM Punk
Wade Barret.
Daniel Bryanson (or w/e it was)
and ofc The Rock (good to see his back)

People I wouldn't mind see get booted or a bit changed in:
John Cena (fricking boring. puppy gimmick and superman is just to damn boring)
Randy Orton (Again not a fan of this superman gimmick they given him too)
The great Kahli (come on... He can't act not wrestle. AND the freakshow can't even say a single word English)
Back to top Go down
Mean Machine

Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:21 am

This has really been an interesting thread for me. Thanks to everybody who's shared so far and I hope more of you will chime in. As I'd hoped, it's been most educational for me to read where everyone's experience and preferences lie. I'm actually rather stoked to see some penetration for TNA and other stuff from beyond the "WWE Universe."

Obviously everybody has their own tastes, and I don't mean to diminish anybody's preferences, but I've been surprised to see Jeff Hardy's name come up again and again on people's "best" lists. I personally have always regarded him as a decent "spot" guy who can pop the crowd with an aerial or two or maybe a death-defying plunge off a prop of some kind. As an all-around worker I've never been that impressed. I don't think he sells very well, his moveset is pretty limited, and I don't think he works the mike especially well. Did anybody see that ironman match he worked with Kurt Angle on Impact a few weeks back? It wasn't pretty, at least to me. What am I missing?

I always thought that Matt was the more talented of the Boyz. I was fortunate enough to get to see him work live at an ROH show in Ohio during the time he was in exile from WWE during the whole Edge/Lita fiasco and he really tore the house down. I fear that he suffers from the curse of being a "good hand," one of the solid, skilled, multi-talented guys who can get a good match out of anybody but never make it big because they're too useful in putting over guys the bookers want to elevate. See also William Regal and Sean Morely (aka Val Venus).

I was also psyched to see some love for ROH alums like Evan Bourne (aka Matt Sydal), who is truly amazing athlete and all-around talent. Also, mad respect for Freeman's pick of Daniel Bryan or whatever dumbass name Vince has given "The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson. That guy is the technical wrestler of his generation, and if you've only seen the sad, weak WWE version of his work, look up some of his ROH matches on YouTube and get ready to be amazed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thescreamingalpha.com
Johnny Anderson

Johnny Anderson

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 10:48 pm

I've never personally liked Matt, as he just seems too plain and boring. Besides, the only reason I really included Jeff is because he's good as a heel (at least in my opinion). Also, did you guys know that the meaning of Sin Cara's name translates to Without Face in Spanish? Interesting little fact there.
Back to top Go down
Nate Neptune

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 2:08 pm

I became a fan in 1984... my dad was a fan and was watching and I saw Andre the Giant get his hair cut and was immediately hooked in. I stumbled upon NWA a few months later while channel surfing and it was Wahoo McDaniel vs. Magnum TA in a steel cage for the US Title. Having never seen a steel cage or blood, I was immediately a fan of the NWA product.

Was a diehard fan throughout my childhood, having attended numerous WWF shows at the Philadelphia Spectrum, as well as local shows from promotions like ECWA and TWA (the precursor for ECW). Started to lose interest a bit in the early to mid 90's (about 94 when Hogan came into WCW) until I stumbled upon ECW on my local Sportschannel and became a diehard fan of that promotion, attending numerous shows between 94 and 2000.

From there I was fortunate enough to be able to attend most of the Philly ROH shows for the first couple years of their existence and have always been a fan of their style, as I'm a wrestling fan and not a sports entertainment fan. This is why I always refer to my TWG characters as wrestlers, they all have old school styles/feels, etc.

Nowadays I still keep up on all of the news and such, but I don't watch as much anymore. I've given TNA every chance in the world to wow me and do something different than WWE, but they are insistent upon being WWE lite instead of being different and focusing on the amazing in ring talents they have. I was following the ROH TV show until it went off the air last month. Most of the wrestling I watch tends to come from WWE Classics on Demand (watching World Class from 12/17/83 as I type this) or from DVDs, as I was an avid DVD and tape trader. And I still keep up on some of the other feds that run in my area, such as Chikara or Jersey All Pro Wrestling. I will always be a wrestling fan, I just don't know if I'll ever get the style of wrestling I'm a fan of back on a regular basis from a national promotion, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your wrestling background?   What's your wrestling background? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's your wrestling background?
Page 1 of 1